XII. C. Principle–Public Relations
Board members, staff, volunteers and friends are encouraged on their personal time to be public advocates for their charitable organizations and the entire charitable nonprofit sector at the local, state and national levels.
- Organization communications should identify the organization as charitable in purpose and in action.
- Organization should cooperate with other charitable nonprofits to inform how they collectively serve the public as charitable organizations.
- Organization communication should enhance public awareness and understanding about the charitable nonprofit sector as a whole.
- Organizations should identify specific public spokespersons.
- Organizations should have a procedure for developing public statements which reflect the full range of the views of the organization’s constituencies and not just the opinion of a few people.
The Public Relations Handbook for Nonprofits (2005) by Art Feinglass.