The University of Iowa


Principles & Practices Citation 

II. C. Principle–501(c)(3) Status for the Charitable Nonprofit

After completion of incorporation, creation of the trust with an indenture, or adoption of the articles of organization of an unincorporated association, the board should seek tax treatment consistent with its charitable purposes under Internal Revenue Code 501(c)(3) from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service, and then faithfully and successfully conduct the affairs of the nonprofit entity within that Code sections’ provisions.


  1. Application should be made to the U.S. International Revenue Service for federal income exempt status on IRS Form 1023 available on the IRS Web site. The nonprofit should also apply for an employer identification number (EIN) with form SS-4 which is also available on the IRS Web site. This EIN number is required even if the charitable nonprofit is not an employer.

Frequently Asked Questions about Tax